Tuesday 19 June 2018

Space Time Line Reading Task.

Space timeline Reading tasks.




Term 2 Weeks 5-6


Purpose of this reading activity is to: increase our knowledge of space
exploration and understand how our knowledge and ideas about space have

changed over time (science). We are also learning to read non-fiction texts
and use our writing skills to share our understanding of this topic and our ideas
(literacy). Throughout this task we will need to use the skills of ‘Thinking’ and
using ‘Language, Symbols and Text.’


Learning Intentions
I am learning to skim and scan text to identify the main ideas.
I am learning to locate the key sentences and questions in texts.
I am learning to use sub-headings to guide me to the main ideas in text.
I am learning to summarise the main ideas in the texts I read.
(from the Karoro Programme of work for Reading)


Success Criteria
I will be successful when I can show….
-I have have scanned text to find key ideas.
-I have summarised the main ideas from the reading.
-I have put my answers in chronological order.

Focus


We are looking at using non-fiction text to increase our knowledge in our science topic; SPACE. Your
aim is to read and understand the timeline reading and use this knowledge to complete the reading
activity below.

First, Read the timeline cards. Click here for the space timeline pdf

Second, We will discuss what you have read. This will be a good time to ask questions about anything
you are unsure of.


Third, do your reading tasks.


Fourth, complete your reading activity. Remember to proofread, check spelling and punctuation.
Then do a self assessment and a peer assessment. Check it with a teacher.







Reading Activity


View and read the space timeline on the classroom walls. Think about how
how our theories/ideas and understandings about the universe and Earth’s
place in it has changed over time.


Answer the following questions.
Your answers need to be full sentences.
After you have answered all the questions please put them in
chronological order (time order, oldest first)






5) What are two things that Galileo discovered?  The two things that Galileo
discovered were the moons of Jupiter and lunar crater on venus. 1610


9) Who discovered the first asteroid? The person that discovered the first
asteroid was Giuseppe Piazzi. 1801

2) What was Sputnik 1? The Sputnik 1 is a Russian satellite. 1957


3) In what year was NASA founded? And what does NASA mean? In 1958
NASA (National Aeronautics
and Space Administration)
was founded. 1958

6) Who was the first woman in space? And where was she from? The first
woman into space was Russian cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova became
the first woman in space. 1963


4)Where did Mariner 4 fly past? The Mariner  flew past Mars. 1965



7) In what year did Apollo 11 land on the moon?  The Apollo 11 landed on the
moon in 1969.


10) What country launched Voyager probes 1 and 2 into deep space? The
country that launched the Voyager 1 and 2 was America.
1977

8) What happened that led to all space shuttles being grounded for 3 years?
A space shuttle blew up after it’s launch. 1986



11) When was the international space station completed?  The space station
was completed in 2010.


1)How long did it take for the Cassini probe to arrive at Saturn? .  It took nearly
seven years. 2004

12) What was interesting about New Horizons information about Pluto? Pluto is
50 miles longer than they thought. 2015.


YOUR OPINION
After reading this information...


  1. Who do you think made the biggest contribution to our understanding of
  2. space? Why? (summarising key ideas)
I think that the biggest contribution was Galileo because he did an extreme job
to find the the moons of jupiter, and lunar crater on venus and he made the first
telescope. That’s why I think it was Galileo who was the most important
scientist.
   
2) What do you think was the most important machine or invention in helping
us investigate space? Why? (summarising key ideas) I think the most
important machtine or invention for space was the space station because
people can go into space in it and take pictures and study. They can also
go out into space and give us info. That's why I think that the space station
was the most important.


    3) What would you like to investigate about space? Why?
I think I would like to investigate the planets because they are interesting.
There also could be other planets to discover. That's why  I would like to
investigate the planets.


Self and Peer Assessment.

Image result for students working together cartoon images

Self and Peer Assessment
Success Criteria


I will be successful when I can show….
-I have have scanned text to find key ideas.
-I have summarised the main ideas from the reading.
- I have put my answers in chronological order.

Success criteria 1: I have have scanned text to find key ideas (I have been able to answer the
questions).
        
                          Achieved well      Achieved some Achieved little     Not achieved
Me
yep



My partner
yes





Success criteria 2: -I have summarised the main ideas from the reading.
      
                          Achieved well      Achieved some Achieved little     Not achieved
Me
yes



My partner
yes




Success criteria 3: I have put my answers in correct chronological order.
        
                          Achieved well      Achieved some Achieved little     Not achieved
Me
yes



My partner
yes


























.




1 comment:

  1. Hey David, great work on your space timeline! I agree that the planets are very interesting. Mrs Gully

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.